After more than a year of work from home, professionals have sampled the greater degree of freedom that comes with remote. When it’s time to return to work, they say they want flexibility and choice in how, when and where they work. Given the tight labor market, every professional in the TA, recruitment and employer brand realm should take heed of the numbers from a 2021 Built In survey.
In this episode, Shelby Eversole, Built In’s senior marketing manager, shares survey insights with Technically People’s co-host Tiffany Meyers. Engaging both employees and employers, the survey found these and more highlights:
- Sixteen percent of employees in the survey said they want to stay fully remote.
- No one said they want to work from the office for five days.
- Fifty three percent said they want to work from home regularly but have office space available for team meetings or gatherings.
- While 84% of companies indicated they plan to or have already asked employees about their return-to-work preferences, only 21% said they plan to use the preferences as a driving force behind their return-to-work plans.
It’s a candidates’ market, given low unemployment rates, especially among tech talent. Moreover, experts are projecting that employees are about to leave their current jobs in droves. This latter factor is known as the “Great Resignation,” and it has companies concerned about attrition.
They should be. Seventy five percent of employees in the survey said they’re at least slightly to apply for a new job in the next year. Eighty five percent of employees said that, when they’re looking for a new job, they’ll heavily weigh whether a company offers remote work.
In this conversation, Eversole highlights:
- The misalignment between companies’ plans and employees’ preferences.
- The need for employers in a tight labor market to act on what candidates want.
- Employers who don’t do so will struggle to attract in-demand talent.
- Why companies must use employer branding to build a reputation as a company that listens to what candidates and employees want.
Download Eversole’s full 2021 report:
- The Great Return to the Office
Find every episode of Technically People on Apple, Spotify, and more. Find us on our website and join the conversation on LinkedIn.
Listening on a desktop & can’t see the links? Just search for Technically People in your favorite podcast player.